Thursday, October 4, 2007

I'm going to a wake

Police Officer Daniel Talbot
Revere Police Department Massachusetts
End of Watch: Saturday, September 29, 2007

Biographical Info
Age: 30
Tour of Duty: 5 years
Badge Number: 163

Incident Details
Cause of Death: Gunfire
Date of Incident: Saturday, September 29, 2007
Weapon Used: Gun; Unknown type
Suspect Info: At large

Officer Daniel Talbot was shot and killed while off-duty.Officer Talbot was off-duty and socializing with several other off-duty officers when there was a confrontation with several men. The men opened fire on the officers, striking Officer Talbot in the head. The officers returned fire, but the suspect fled.

He was transported to a local hospital following the shooting, where he remained in grave condition all day until succumbing to the wound.

Officer Talbot had served with the Revere Police Department for five years and was assigned to the Gang Unit. He is survived by his fiancee.

“He was a good police officer,” said John Powers, president of the Revere City Council. “He was a cop’s cop, somebody always on the job. Hopefully, whoever is responsible will be apprehended.”

From Boston.com news October 2, 2007

Man Held in Revere Police Officer's death

CHELSEA -- A blue sea of at least 100 police officers with black bands over their badges packed a silent courtroom this afternoon for the arraignment of a teenager accused of instigating a confrontation that led to the fatal shooting of Revere police Officer Dan Talbot.

Derek Lodie, 17, did not show his face during the brief proceeding in Chelsea District Court. He listened from a hallway as a prosecutor told the court that while Lodie did not pull the trigger, he was responsible for setting in motion the events that led to Talbot's death. He pleaded not guilty to a charge of being an accessory before the fact of murder.

Assistant District Attorney Edmond Zabin told the court that Lodie approached the off-duty officers Saturday morning as they were socializing near a baseball field behind Revere High School. Lodie started an argument with Talbot, 30, and the other officers, Zabin said. The teenager then used a cellphone to call three friends, who came armed to the high school, he said.
The argument between Lodie and his three friends and the off-duty officers intensified, Zabin said. Then, one of Lodie’s friends opened fire, shooting Talbot in the head, he said.


"He fell on the field, mortally wounded," Zabin said.

Police and prosecutors have not said which of Lodie's friends is suspected of firing the gun. It is not clear whether Lodie's three friends are in custody.

Two other teenagers and a 20-year-old, all from Revere, were arrested Monday on drug and weapons charges following searches at two Revere houses. A spokesman for Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley would not comment today on whether the charges stem from the investigation into Talbot's killing.

Revere Police Chief Terence K. Reardon said after the arraignment that investigators interviewed 'numerous people," but he declined to say whether additional suspects were in custody.

"There are a lot of loose ends to tie up," Reardon said. "I'd say we’re feeling very good about this investigation."

The police officers who packed the courtroom kept completely silent during the proceeding and remained standing until being ordered to sit by the judge. They came from Revere, Chelsea, Boston, and the transit police force to show solidarity for their fallen colleague.

Tomorrow I'll be going to the wake for Officer Talbot. When I was working in Alaska, on my second day as a police officer, I went to the funeral for Alaska State Trooper Hans Roelle. Seeing all the RCMP officers in their sharp red uniforms really made an impression. I couldn't believe how many there were, when they'd had so far to come.

So I asked my boss if I could go to the wake for this officer, who I never met. I want the green and gray of the park service to be represented there, to show our support. Pain shared is pain divided. I can hope that's true.

No comments: