Monday, April 14, 2008

The route?



View Larger Map

I'm trying to plan the drive to Alaska. I don't have any stops along the Alcan because I know it takes about five days (since we have to stop at Liard Hotsprings). We'll pick up Dad in Seattle and I won't have to worry after that. He'll do most of the driving.

The route I've chosen is approximately 5,820 miles. Mama and I are stopping in Buffalo to see Great-great Aunt Betty (and Niagara falls). We'll head to Minneapolis to pick up my trekking stuff from Nepal (one of my fellow hikers was kind enough to tote my bag back to the US for me so I didn't have to drag my hiking gear all around India or try to ship it back). We'll stay a full day in Regina, SK to visit my Dutch relatives. My cousin Iris used to work for the RCMP as a matron, back when there were matrons. She's in her 70's and I want to meet her while I have the chance. From Regina it's 549 miles to Banff. We've got to stop in Banff. In another 597 miles we'll be in Seattle. We'll hopefully have a good, solid day and a half to visit my brother and sister-in-law, Laura, The White Ranger, and my Aunt Pam (who's already emailed me to ask that I stop by).

Looking at the miles we have to cover, this isn't going to be a very relaxing road trip.

4 comments:

SapphireBullet said...

Don't forget to visit Laura (or The White Ranger). They are super cool peeps - if I do say so myself ;)
I'm super excited about seeing you! Any clue what day you're passin' through?

Inge Slaats said...

Hi Liz and Yvonne,

Wow, what a trip the two of you are going to make and how nice for me that I can look over your shoulders via the computer. In this way I can learn a lot about the states you are driving through. My geographical knowledge of America is also very bad, so this is going to help me doing something about that, too!
I hope you will enjoy all your visits to friends and relatives. Give my regards to your Dutch relatives, although I don't know them and they don't know me, but we have a little in common, don't we?
Have a good and wonderful trip, drive safely and I will follow you from here!

Many hugs,
Inge from the Netherlands

Shannon & Richard said...

Don't forget the stop in Anchorage to see your friend Shannon!!!!!!

Liz said...

Shan,
Of course! We'll be there all week.
Laura,
Yes, you and the White Ranger are super cool.
Inge,
Thank you for your well wishes. We will have a great trip, although I don't think I'll blog very much about it. All the driving should keep me busy.