Sunday, May 25, 2008

Made it!

I know, it's been awhile since I posted. The move took forever (see Mama's blog if you want to read about the road trip and see some pictures). My computer and most of my household stuff is still in storage. Who knows when I'll see it again. So I won't be blogging a whole lot this summer. But I was happy to see that there have been a few visitors. I've got some great pictures of wildlife... this place is crawling with it. Wolves, grizzlies, caribou, moose, Dall sheep, lynx, and little rodents. And people to. The hordes have arrived. I'll try to get some neat pictures up later.

I got to Anchorage on May 4th. We had a week of training, 40 hours of shooting, wrestling around on mats (aka defensive tactics, or officer response tactics, whatever fad name it's going by now), shooting tasers (alas, not at each other, it's against policy to be tased as a part of training), some lecture, and taking our yearly physical test. Once that week was over, I finally made it to the park.

Since then I've gotten my patrol truck. It's huge. Even at my height I've got to hop into it. We had more training. We went to the range to shoot rubber batons and bean bag rounds at bear targets. One of the park biologists lectured us on all kinds of wildlife related stuff. They're doing some neat critter studies here. We also had a day of EMS stuff. Our park's physician sponsor was here to help with that. I really like her and I think she's the perfect Doc for our park.

This last week was filled with a search and rescue class. I got to practice skills that I haven't done in years like tracking and map and compass stuff. It was really nice to get all excited about this kind of stuff again. I used to volunteer with SAR groups. ESAR back in high school and WSAR when I went to college. I did some rescues at Acadia and Mt. Rainier, but those were years ago and didn't involve the search part. SAR planning and ops are fun to and the skills are ones that I'd love to develop.

I feel like a real Ranger again!

9 comments:

Yvonne said...

YAY!!! Lizzy is back!!!

Officer "Smith" said...

Heya Liz,

Glad to see you back. I was beginning to wonder if the bears had eaten you.

Whaddya mean it's against policy to get tased in Taser training. Whoever wrote that policy was just afraid of the things.

Anywho, welcome back.

Harespring said...

I admire anyone who can make sense of a map and compass. Never let it be said that a woman cannot read the one and use the other!

Mrs. "Smith" said...

Welcome back, Liz. I was wondering if you had made it. Glad you're safe, and I am looking forward to any pictures you have to post.

Murphy's Law said...

Good to see you back on-line again. Been wondering. Stay safe up there and please don't try to pet any more moose like you did when I was up there. ;-)




OK, it might have been me who tried to pet that moose, but still...

Front Porch Society said...

Glad to see you are safe and sound and made it up there in one piece! I have kept checking back just in case....can't wait to see the pics!! AK is beautiful and I miss the beauty of the bay area! Sounds like you have had a blast with all your training, too!! :)

SapphireBullet said...

I am so happy for you! When life slows down a bit and we can both settle in to our new jobs - let's try this 'hanging out for a few days' thing again! I really need some Lizard time! :) It was great to see you again! The book is awesome and I've been allowing myself one chocolate per week - which means I still have a TON left! Soooo goooood frozen!!!

MJ said...

RIZZO!!! I'm so glad you made it safe and sound! I'm already planning a trip up there to visit you--Michael wants to come during winter so we can see the northern lights. Hopefully this winter?

Joan said...

I've been reading about your cross-country trip from the maternal viewpoint, but it is wonderful to see that you are able to write on your blog once again. I'm looking forward to hearing about this great job.
Welcome back!