Yesterday morning I was all ready for work. I just needed to fill my Nalgene and put my lunch in the truck. I stepped outside and was at the door of the truck when I saw one of the professional photographers on the road at the base of my driveway. He's whisper-shouting at me that there are wolves in my driveway. But I can see that I'm in my driveway. Just me and my truck. I think he meant there just recently had been wolves in my driveway.
Then, over by my flagpole, I see the bushes are moving. There's something in there and it's not one of the almost ever present bunny horde. And where are all the bunnies? The snowshoe hare are at the very peak of their population cycle and there are always at least a few gnawing on my porch or hopping around the driveway at all hours of the day. They were surprisingly absent. And the bushes are moving. Maybe the pro pho is on to something.
I retreat, with my water bottle, to the porch. I watch as four wolf pups run past me. One had a snowshoe hare in it's mouth. They were circling all around my yard snarling at each other over the dead bunny. They were the kind of snarls that reminded me these were wolves, not dogs. I've never heard a dog snarl like that. And these guys are puppies! Although, they are getting pretty big.
I went back in the house, uncomfortable being within 25 yards of the wolves because, let's face it, that's breaking the law and I'm a Ranger. Nevermind I was standing on my own porch.
I fill up my Nalgene and collect my lunch. I lock my door and head back to the truck. Surely, they're gone by now. But as I'm standing at the passenger door, there's a wolf. It was about 20 feet away. I shut the door and walk away from it, around the front of my truck. And there's another one... about 8 feet away. I had to shoo it off to get into my truck. I was already late calling in service because I'd been waiting for them to leave. I sat in my truck, safely, legally, separated from the swarm of wildlife.
What a way to start my day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








4 comments:
LOL, worried more about breaking the law than having them think YOU'RE lunch...rangers...
That hike into the back country was AWESOME! Thanks for sharing the pictures!
Oh, what fun! :)
Great title!
That's it. I'm coming to Alaska.
(It's Laura - I can't remember my old password!)
Post a Comment