Sunday, January 4, 2009

Complaints

They mean I'm doing my job. I have to keep telling myself that.

I don't get them very often, which is good. If you were to tally up all the tickets I write or people I've arrested, the percentage who have complained (aside from those who whine about the handcuffs or the hard plastic seat) has got to be less that .001%.

In fact, I can only think of three.

1. The speeder in Sequoia. She lived in an inholding in the park, and therefore, was exempt from the traffic laws. She'd been driving that road for years, and thus was allowed to drive at a breakneck pace around blind corners. That was why she was upset anyway.

2. The EDP at Boston. He was a regular customer. In my first encounter with him he threatened to take a Boston officers gun... which didn't go over well. He got his butt kicked, but didn't seem to hold that against me the next time he came over. However, my boss had told us to get rid of him the next time he wanted to tell us his latest sob story. When I told him to leave, he turned the crazy on. He was fixing to get thwacked with my baton when the ambulance showed up and suddenly he was calm and I was the big, mean Ranger. He later told my boss I called him white trash. While apt, I hadn't thought to fling names at him.

3. The trucker who claims I'm out to get all truckers. I hope he fights his ticket and tries to say that I only stopped him because he drives a commercial vehicle. Then I hope the judge asks how many semis I've stopped in the last year... because he's the only one! And it's not my fault that he lost his job. I actually do feel bad, if that's true. But I don't feel too bad, because he was a real jerk.

So really, out of all the crazy people and law breakers I've had dealings with, these three are the only ones who've been irate enough to complain to my employer. I don't even think any of them followed up with a written complaint.

Maybe I'm not working hard enough! In over 5 years of doing law enforcement, this is all I can come up with? Three complaints?

I guess it's OK to only have three. Every time I get one, it bothers me. Which is why they do it, I suppose, to get under my skin. There's always that uncomfortable talk with the boss where I wonder if they're going to believe me or not. Even when they do, the fact that we had to have a talk is irritating. I'd much rather not know. Just trust me that I didn't call anyone names or make any threats or whatever it is they said I did and don't even tell me about it. Let me just carry on in blissful ignorance.

6 comments:

Murphy's Law said...

You obviously didn't pay attention when you rode along with me if you didn't learn how to generate complaints better than that. ;-)

when the miscreants and ne'er-do-wells have no problem with you, you're doing something wrong.

Captain Tightpants said...

I have made it through six years with only one formal complaint myself - from a DUI lady I had to TASER.

Sure, I've had the countless "I'll call the chief, I'll have your badge, I know people" arrestees - but IMHO, if you are doing your job right and with integrity, then the majority of them will realize when they sober up that they don't have a leg to stand on & that planned complaint turns quickly into a guilty plea to avoid further drama.

Sure there will always be people who complain - but as long as you're being a professional as it sounds as if you are nothing but, then you have nothing to worry about but the paperwork game.

Liz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz said...

Sean,
That reminds me of one more. I cited a guy for having his toddler standing in the front seat of his car. He did the whole, "I know your Chief" thing. But I only heard about that complaint from the rumor mill. Apparently, he called the Chief and the Chief knew I didn't do anything wrong so he never told me about it.

And thanks for the compliment.

Ranger Bob said...

Heh.... the very first ticket I wrote in my very first seasonal job at Sequoia (Lodgepole, to be precise) the guy flounced on down to the office to complain I'd called him a dirty Mexican. What made it especially funny to me, in retrospect, was that there I was, fresh from the East, and I hadn't even realized the guy was Mexican until I read his complaint.

Officer "Smith" said...

Reminds me of a time I got called into the Commandant's office regarding a complaint someone filed.

He told me what the guy said I said, and I could not stop laughing. I don't even remember what it was now, but it was so ridiculous I couldn't believe I had actually gotten called in for it.