Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Going to Africa!

I leave on Saturday. As a funny side note, earlier this week my coworker called me on the radio. He wanted me to meet him in the office so he could talk to me. I step inside and he tells me that one of my speeding tickets is going to court on March 14. I was pretty sure he knew I'd be gone, so I wasn't sure what he expected me to say.

"Yeah, I'll be in Africa." I reminded him.

"It's Melanie Smith." [names have been changed] I wondered if I was supposed to remember her by her name alone. At my blank look he continued, "You got her for speeding, 78." I still had no idea. I mean I write a few tickets and they don't go to court for months.

"Yep," I said, "I'll be in Africa."

"It's going to get dismissed if you're not there." He told me as if I didn't know. Like I should be upset or something because my ticket is going to be dismissed.

"Well I'm not coming back for court. I don't care if all my tickets get dismissed while I'm gone."

He looked horrified. Like he expected me to call the US Attorney's office and beg them to reschedule. At the time I was slightly irritated because I thought he had something interesting to tell me. But later, I just thought it was funny. Oh dear, I've got court. I'll just have to cancel my trip!

10 comments:

Berserk said...

Your coworker sounds like a tool.

Murphy's Law said...

The US Attorney should change that date without a problem, especially if you have leave. Give it a shot.

If you don't, there will be one more retard out there going around smugly telling everyone: "Just take all your tickets to court, because the officer might not show up!"

Front Porch Society said...

*snort*

Officer "Smith" said...

You can always tell when your defendant was hoping you wouldn't show up.

"Do you have any questions for the officer?"

"No."

"Would you like to make a statement?"

"No."

Well, hell then. Why are you here?

Officer "Smith" said...

And I got so wrapped up in that I forgot to say have fun in Africa.

Silly me.

Ten 80 said...

If you actually did go to the trouble of rescheduling your trip or getting it continued the judge would just dismiss it anyway. It seems like the more effort I make to appear the more likely it is to be continued or dismissed anyway. A long time ago I gave up caring about my cases after I turned in the paperwork. Go to Africa and have a great time.

Lots of pictures are mandatory here. ;)

MJ said...

PICTURES!!!! Have a GREAT time, Rizzo!

Yvonne said...

like MJ says, PICTURES! Well...we're waiting! (drumming of fingers on tabletop...) AHEM! Are you paying attention? ;-)

MJ said...

Seriously, are you back yet????

I got the postcard, I want to see those pictures!!! And hear stories, woman!

Miss you!

Fire Safety Grants said...

Hello,

We just launched our new PoliceOne Blog Directory and we would like to feature your blog on it! We would first like to know if you would want to display our RSS feeds or do link exchange. I think that PoliceOne’s Blutube.com videos would work really well on your site as well as our News Widget with up-to-the-minute law enforcement news feeds. All of our Blutube videos are law enforcement related and I believe they will be able to add more content for your viewers. I hope to hear back from you soon so we can add you to our blog directory.

Here is the link to the PoliceOne blog directory: http://www.policeone.com/law-enforcement-blogs

Blutube video link: http://www.policeone.com/law-enforcement-police-rss-feeds/blutube.xml

Here is an example of a fellow blogger who has used the News Widget: http://apolicewife.blogspot.com/


Best,

Darcy Carroll
darcy.carroll@praetoriangroup.com