Thursday, July 17, 2008

Soon to be homeless

Well, I guess it's not to soon. I've got a couple months.

When I took this job, my boss said my chances of getting park housing were pretty good. I should have known not to trust him.

My job is kind of tricky. It's a required occupancy position, but only May to September. If it were required occupancy all year round, this wouldn't be a problem. The park would provide the housing and I wouldn't have to worry.

The house I was hoping to get (and that my boss said I would get) is going up for bid. The bidding process is where every permanent park employee who wants to live there, submits a form. The housing officer picks who gets the housing based on how much money they make. The last time the house came up for bid it was given to a GS-5, but another guy put in for it then. I recently learned that he'll probably bid on it again. And he'll probably get it because he makes less than I do. That's fine, good for him. It's a great deal. $660 a month includes utilities and one nice roommate with a fairly well behaved dog. Even a garage.

Compare that to nearby rental prices. Eight miles away is the closest community. Gas is over $5.00 a gallon. The price of a rental cabin (without running water) is between $700 and $900 a month. Plus electricity and fuel oil. Fuel is the big one. It gets cold around here in the winter time and fuel prices are astronomical. And where would I shower?

I don't know how I can afford to work here.

4 comments:

Front Porch Society said...

So sorry to hear about your living situation!! Had no idea gas was that high in Alaska!! Especially with that pipeline sitting up there....you would think otherwise. I will pray that something will come available that is also affordable.

Murphy's Law said...

Two words:

Poach moose. ;-)

Liz said...

Thanks USA. I'm praying for the same thing. Thankfully, I've got a whole church full of people who will keep their eyes and ears open for me.

TheBronze said...

Damn girl, what did you expect, living in AK?

That's the land that God forgot!

Hope it works out for you!

Stay Safe!