Ten below really isn't all that cold. For here. I'm glad someone thought to have us qualify now instead of when it's even colder.
Normally, I love to shoot. I've been pretty good at sticking to my goal of going to the range once a month. I think I even went three times in June.
We're required to qualify twice a year. Of all the places that need an indoor range, I think Alaska is right up there. You may say, "Yeah, but as a Ranger, you're more likely to shoot someone outside."
Yes, that's true. But shootings rarely last more than a few seconds, and we were outside shooting for two hours. If I were out on snowmachine patrol (so if I were planning to be out in the cold for an extended period of time), I'd be wearing bibs and a parka. In that case, if I needed to shoot someone it would be a race to see who could dig through the layers faster.
I wasn't wearing my snowmachine bibs or parka yesterday morning. Foolishly, I wasn't wearing my bunny boot either. Just my regular winter boots and one pair of socks. So my toes got cold. And being as how I wanted to fit my finger in the trigger, my hands got cold. And every time I covered my face with my balaclava, my glasses iced up (not fog, but ice). The rangemaster said I needed to learn to shoot with glasses on, but actually, I don't. I'm not going to rush to put on eye protection before shooting someone. To qualify, yes, I suppose I need to learn to shoot with glasses.
Of course with my face bare, I then had to press that face onto my rifle and shotgun. If it had been -40 I'd have burned myself. And it didn't really help, at least on prone rifle. I got all fogged up there anyway. And my pants froze from laying in the snow.
Despite all this, I shot pretty well. I thought my rifle target was absolutely amazing since I couldn't see the dang thing half the time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








3 comments:
The more sweat and pain in training, the less blood shed in real life. Glad you pushed through it, but keep practicing, even on your own time...and don't forget to work in some night-firing. The life you save could be...well it could be YOURS.
BTW, I'm still snickering at you out-shooting those three rednecks back when we were target shooting that one winter day a few years back. You have the abilities...now keep the skills polished.
Yikes! I, too, am glad they decided to do it now rather than later!
Hey all, I have a question over at my blog I'm asking for input on. Can you help me out?
Post a Comment