Saturday, November 10, 2007

The most "climbed" mountain in the world

Mt. Monadnock (oddly enough it's the brand name for my baton) is hiked more than any other mountain in the world. Mt. Fuji in Japan has similar numbers of visitors, but they have some kind of tram to the top, so I think a lot of people cheat.

I got up early this morning so I could make the two hour drive. I got off work at 0200, so getting up at 0830 was kind of a chore. But I didn't want my one chance at hiking for the week to be wasted. It's a two hour drive, but I managed to make it 2.5. I got lost trying to follow MapQuest directions through Somerville. It would've worked fine if they labeled the streets there.

Anyway, I made it and I still had time to hike to the top and back down in daylight. It only took 3.5 hours, and that was with a half hour break at the top for pictures. Monadnock is only 3,156 feet high, but the views are still pretty good. Why don't I have any pictures of the views from the top, you ask? Well, my new camera came with a memory card that holds 8, that's right, 8 pictures. So I used my 35mm once I filled my memory card.

Here I am at the half way point. A girl scout troop leader took my picture. Notice my full backpack. I weighed it after (so it was lighter from the water I drank and food I ate) and it was 15 lbs. It seems a little much for a day hike, but it is stuffed full of extra layers. It was miserably windy and cold in the parking lot, so I over packed.

The trail was pretty steep so my legs are quite sore as I sit here. Imagine how strong my legs would be if I could get out every week! I'd get legs like a Rugby player! Hmmm. Then again, while bulky, muscly, legs look good on Rugby players, I might look a little funny.

For those of you who don't know, last night my boss approved my leave for 3 weeks in March! I am going to Nepal. My friend Kurt is coming to. I'm quite excited about that since I usually have a hard time finding travel companions for some of my more adventurous schemes.

Part of my motivation for the hike today was to get in shape for hiking in Nepal. Although 3,156 feet won't get me in shape for the altitudes Kurt and I will be hiking at... it is a start.

6 comments:

Yvonne said...

Nice photo!

love you

Mom

http://yquiltsalot.blogspot.com/

Front Porch Society said...

Looks like quite the hike!! :)
That is awesome you get to go to Nepal for vacation!! :) Can't wait to see the pictures from that trip in March!

MJ said...

I found your blog!!! Love the pics! And NEPAL!?!?! I'm so jealous! Michael and I will be out east in May, we'll all have to go up to Maine..

SapphireBullet said...

Fantastic! I can't wait to see pictures from Nepal!!!

Shannon & Richard said...

You'd better send me a Nepalese Post Card for my collection! How did you settle on Nepal? Thought Africa was calling you? Whatever, congrats on getting out there and having FUN!

Liz said...

I decided on Nepal in a round about kind of way. I was looking into a really neat tiger safari trip in India. But it was only 10 days long and if I was going all the way to India I was staying for three weeks. But what would I do in India by myself? I picked up guidebooks on India and one on Nepal, since it's so close. Then I started reading about all the neat hiking in Nepal and how I could hire a porter (so I wouldn't be hiking alone). Then I found a trip with REI adventures in Nepal that has a tiger safari as well as lots of cool hiking. And a flightseeing tour of Everest! And my coworker told me of his uncle who went to India and called it a crap hole then lost 30 lbs when he got dysentary (or however you spell that). My Chief saw some discovery channel special that said 1,000 people a year are killed by tigers in India. So... Nepal just sounds friendlier.

Of course I still want to go to Africa. One place at a time. If I tried to pick which place I wanted to go more, I'd never go anywhere.