I got 20 minutes of sleep all day.
I cried again when I learned that I'd missed some neat, non-mandatory training on explosives because my boss sent out the email over the weekend (which are my days off) and I didn't find out about it until I checked my email today when I got on at 2200.
Despite looking at my day planner yesterday, I forgot the CPR refresher training I was supposed to go to today. I called my boss when I realized I'd forgotten... and cried.
I cried some more when I thought of all my coworkers who could have called me when I didn't show (it's a 5 minute commute from my house, I'd have made it), but didn't.
I live in a very strange house and I share a wall with an office. It seems like everyday they are rearranging all the furniture in the office and the periodic thumping wakes me up. Again and again. Today, instead of putting in my earplugs and trying to sleep anyway, I vindictively turned my music on quite loudly and entertained the thought of playing my bagpipes in my room (and bagpipes are an outside instrument). Very juvenile. I like to think I'm more mature than that, but obviously, I'm not.
Here are a list of symptoms of shift work induced stress from the federal occupational health people:
- Fatigue/tiredness. My eyes hurt from the effort of keeping them open. My life revolves around when I can get some sleep. I have no motivation to go out on patrol feeling this way because I think it would be dumb.
- Loss of energy. I'm not sure how this is different from fatigue.
- Constipation. Well, now, I don't really want to talk about if I have this problem or not...
- Stomach problems/ulcers. I have been having stomach problems, which has taken care of the constipation.
- Dehydration. Only when I wake up. I have to sleep with water next to my bed because I don't think I can make it down the stairs without passing out; I'm always so light-headed when I get out of bed.
- Susceptible to colds/flu. My last boyfriend, who is 18 years older than I am, made the observation that he would probably live as long as I will because I'm always getting sick. I think that was a mean thing to say; I get sick a couple times a year. It's hard not to working with coworkers who get sick all the time to.
- Possible increase in cardiovascular disease. Well, let's hope I don't have this symptom.
- Increased irritability and moodiness. I almost got in a fight with a guy in the T. His big belly pushed into my butt because he was trying to get through without paying by pushing in behind me. I spun around and asked him what the hell he was doing. Even though I knew. I asked him why the rest of us have to pay, but he doesn't. Increased irritability? Perhaps.
- Overly emotional. I cried four times today. No, five. Again at dinner, for no reason. That's not normal.
- Too sensitive and defensive. When defensive tactics and taser trainings are scheduled for 10 am to 6pm and my boss tells me I can't go (when would you sleep? he asks), but they'll have it again and I can go next time, I feel like I'm being left out. I work the 2200 to 0600 shift, and I'm solo from 0200 to 0600. There are only two of us who work this shift, me and Greg. Greg gets three out of the week, I get the other four and mine are all during the week when the training is scheduled. I'm the only one out of the entire staff who is inconvenienced by training. I'm taking it personally, which is not good.
- Forgetful. CPR training is just one of many, many things I've forgotten lately. I can't even remember the rest of them.
Now, I was doing OK earlier. I've been on this shift since the end of September and I thought I'd gotten into the new rhythm. What has changed? Maybe it's the daylight. Perhaps I have that seasonal disorder that people in Alaska were always talking about that's caused by a lack of sunshine. Or maybe it's the holiday season, which is downright depressing anyway, so far from family.
So what do the brains of the FOH say?
- Sleep well. Obviously, this is my goal. Not very helpful advice.
- Eat and drink sensibly. I drink so much water I constantly have to pee and with all these layers to tuck in and gear to fight with, it's an ordeal. Eating, however, is a problem. I've fallen back into my old habit of one meal a day. Except on Mondays when I stop at Subway for breakfast on the way to bagpipe class. Every other day I just eat on my dinner break. It's usually quite healthy. Some days I'll eat breakfast. Some days I'll forage before bed. Nothing more than snacks, really, except at dinner. My dinner is usually at 0200, and they say I shouldn't eat big meals after midnight (like a gremlin).

- Exercise. I use our three paid hours of PT time every week and I try to get out and do something active on Saturdays. The rest of the time I don't feel I can squeeze it in, I'm so busy trying to get some shut eye.
- Make time for friends, family, and self. The only time I want to make for myself is time to sleep!
I've worked night shifts before. I used to work the 1600 to 0200 shift when we had 4 ten hour shifts instead of 5 eights. Getting off at 0200 is just kind of like staying up late and it's much easier to adjust to. When I worked those 12 hour shifts from 6pm to 6am, I remember I was useless during the work week (we worked 7 days on, then had a week off). All I did was sleep and work. The nice thing about that was we'd work a week of nights, have a week off, and then work a week of days. It was hard to switch back and forth, but there was plenty of time to recover with a full week off. I remember after a week of busy night shifts I came home and slept for 14 hours without even getting up to pee.
The major difference, as I see it, is that I've never had a sleeping problem before. I don't know how I've acquired one, but it's really, really beating me down.
The FOH folks say that to get better sleep I shouldn't nap. What if naps are all I get?
They also say:
- Reduce noise. That's up to Thumper in the office next door.
- Darkness. I've got sheets over the windows. It's kind of dark.
- Control temperature. Well, now that's an interesting dilemma. My heater isn't working in my room and I've got the space heater cranked up. If I tell maintenance they'll want to come fix it, but then where will I sleep? I can't sleep in the same room with strange guys farfing around with my heater.
- Control humidity. Maybe I should get a humidifier and I wouldn't wake up so dizzy.
- Comfortable bed. It's comfy enough.
- Sleep aids. If they mean drugs, they can forget it. The last thing I want to do is develop a dependency on something with crazy side effects.
- Empty bladder. They must have forgotten they told me to drink a lot of water.
Something has got to change. I can't keep going like this. I can't hope that it's just the depression of winter or the holidays because even if it's Christmas blues I still have almost the whole month to go! I'm an emotional basket case and a useless employee. I don't like being a mean, grumpy, irritable person. I don't like to think that this is just who I am now. What if I don't ever change back?








7 comments:
Quite a touchy subject. The easy thing to do would be to read it and say nothing, but that wouldn't do YOU any good if I did that. So, here's something at least.
When I work nights, I have to put up with guys with gas powered leaf blowers three days out of the week. That I've gotten used to. I don't know how you can get used to "Thumper", but you could try doing what I had to do with one of my neighbors. Go next door and explain your situation to them, and see if they can make some effort to be more quiet. Who knows if that will work.
Working nights is a bitch, ya? It can be the most fun you will ever have, and at the same time be the most difficult thing you've ever experienced.
One conundrum you run into is this. If you inform your supervisor that working nights is becoming a safety issue, how will they react. I suppose it all comes down to your relationship with management. Do they say "Oh, geez, we can't have that. We'll have to get you on days"? Or do they say "O, geez, we can't have that. Maybe you should look for another line of work"? I know what my bosses would say, but I don't know your bosses.
My best suggestion is to talk. Talk to friends. Talk to co-workers. Talk to your blog readers. It usually helps to get it off your chest.
Mostly, be tough. I know, that's easy for me to say huh? Don't ever let the job get the best of you. If it ever comes down to my sanity or my job, I guess I have to find something else to do. Only you can decide what's best for you.
I would say call me any time, just as I do with any of my law enforcement brothers and sisters. But I suppose that would be a little difficult since you don't know my number. At any rate, be safe, and know I'm behind you.
Thank you. I appreciate your advice. I have been talking to friends. Now, I think all of my coworkers are aware that I'm forgetful and they can call me to remind me of training. And today one guy told me when he worked my shift he always felt kind of depressed. So they know what I'm feeling.
I'm going to schedule an appt with my doctor because someone suggested I might be anemic. And last year, now that I think of it, she did tell me my iron was low. She suggested a multivitamin, but maybe that didn't solve the problem. It could account for the fatigue.
My boss knows I'd like to get to dayshift and I'm hoping an opening will come up soon and I can bid on it. One of the dayshift guys is heading off to FLETC in April so maybe I can get his spot.
If all else fails, I can sacrifice my social life and try to get on the second shift from 1400 to 2200.
You're the second person to suggest talking to Thumper. I don't think she has any idea there's someone trying to sleep on the other side of her office wall.
Thanks again, even if I don't know your number, I'm glad you read my blog.
I feel for you too, as I feel just like you too - only thing is that I'm a day worker and I'm nearly twice your age!!!!
Liz,
Heh, hon...I understand what it is like to try to sleep during "normal hours of working" for everyone else. It took me awhile to adjust to my neighbor mowing at 7am and the school children screaming all morning next door. In the end, I take sleep aid medication to ensure I sleep through "the night" and am refreshed when I wake up. There are sleep aids out there without any dependency risks. Definitely talk to your doctor about your options, though.
It can be tough working while everyone else is having a life. I have few I hang with because of my schedule. But I keep in close contact via phone, letters, & emails with friends & family from back home (and all over the USA!). I have other officer friends with other counties that also work graveyard shifts so it is great to be able to chit-chat on the phone with them for an hour during the down time.
For me, I make myself get up and get out of the house. Even if it means I am doing something by myself (or with my puppy), I am doing something. Activity helps keep the mind focused and healthy and less of a tendency to become depressed. I spend at least 1-2 hours at the gym before I head out to run errands and do whatever before my shift starts.
I do hope you will be okay and that things will get easier for you as you continue to adjust to the schedule. Hang in there! :)
I'm sorry you are feeling down. I have no good advice but rather a distraction to offer. To prepare for my trip to see you this spring - I've been studying local lingo. I came across this one today and have every intention of working it into my every day vernacular.
“Wicked frickin' pissa”
Which (according to my Bostonian to English dictionary) means, ‘something that’s absolutely too cool for words.’
I'd also like to figure out how to pronounce ‘Gloucester’ before I get there!
Keep your chin up sweetie. Nepal is just around the corner!
Like I said, I'm here for ya. We coppers gotta stick together.
Looks like "gloo-cess-ter", sounds like "gloss-ter". Go figure the freakin New Englanders huh?
Post a Comment