Sunday, December 9, 2007

Liz and the White Ranger take Manhattan (part 1)

A grown man wearing nothing but underwear and a cowboy hat... just one of the many sightseeing opportunities in the Big Apple.
This will be a mini-series blog of our adventure in New York City. Mostly because the pictures take a really long time to load and I have other things to do (like sleeping).


Yesterday I took the 0640 train to New York. I got into Penn Station and eventually met the White Ranger (through sophisticated cell phone tracking and surveillance) at West 34th and 8th. The White Ranger's real name is Craig, which, though a perfectly good name, is not as exciting as the White Ranger. I suppose I should explain... Craig is a friend of mine from highschool. He used to have long hair and he always wore it in a ponytail. I'm not sure who made the connection between Craig and the White Ranger (who also had long dark hair). It wasn't me; I didn't watch that show, but my little brother did. Perhaps it was Jeff's idea.


When I told my mom I'd be meeting one of my highschool friends in New York, she asked which one.

"Craig," I told her.

"Oh, you mean the White Ranger?"

My mom remembers my friends best if they have nicknames. She still thinks of Jason Madrano as the Seafair Pirate (he was in the Renton Riverdays parade as a pirate) and of Craig as the White Ranger.



I looked for a picture of the White Ranger so you could see the resemblance (although Craig has since cut his hair). In my search I was unintentionally educated about Power Rangers. Tommy, the White Ranger, started out as the Green Ranger, but he used those powers for evil. He later redeemed himself and was given the powers of the White Ranger. I'm sure it was all quite dramatic. Here's a picture of the Green Ranger, who is also the White Ranger, who is named after Craig. Or something like that.

I guess it's hard to see the long hair and Craig is wearing a hat, but trust me, Craig is really the White Ranger. I told Craig that I'm jealous that he has a title as a nickname. I'm also jealous of his power ranger abilities and skills.

6 comments:

SapphireBullet said...

I've always called Craig, 'Craigness'. Like you, I have no idea how it started. In fact, I don't know what it means either. At least by calling him the White Ranger (Lisa and I often call him that)it's accurate. You couldn't meet a nicer guy. Don't forget to add 'ability to tolerate Laura's whinkin' to his list of super powers. God has a special place carved out for our buddy Craig!
I'm so thrilled that you two were able to hang out! New York will never be the same! :)

Liz said...

He is nice, and fun to hang out with. And he paid attention to where we were. All I had to do was follow along and say, "Are we there yet?" every few blocks.

Shannon & Richard said...

The whole time I was reading this post I was thinking "The White Ranger?" Didn't he ride a horse around the old west? He didn't have long hair...Oh, right, that's the LONE ranger, not the White Ranger of Power Ranger Fame. Thanks for posting a picture and helping me out there.

Looks like a fun trip! I'm jealous. I've been to New York twice and never got to see our lady of Liberty.

Good night!
Shan

Yvonne said...

Craig looks like he hasn't changed a bit! And yes...you are right...Jeff was the one who hung that label of White Ranger on him. Who knew your littl' bro had such influence, hmm?

Looks like you had a great time!

Mom

Front Porch Society said...

Interesting photo of the mostly naked man playing a guitar. Wonder if he is cold standing out there - it is NY afterall! ;)

Liz said...

He had to be freezing! I was wearing long johns and a wool hat!