Wait a minute, Liz, you're not Catholic! I know, but "Mormon guilt" isn't such a popular or well known phenomenon.
I was talking to one of my coworkers who explained that he carries off duty (for non LEOs, that means he's carrying a concealed firearm) because of his Catholic guilt. He wouldn't want to be a witness to a massacre and not have the means to fight the armed attacker. If he was unarmed, he'd never get past the guilt.
I feel the same way. The day I'm too lazy to strap on my pistol is the day the maniac runs in the grocery store to start picking people off. There I would be, trained, but unable to shoot back. A sheepdog caught napping when the wolf comes.
Would non-LEOs think I was strange or crazy if they knew I carry to the pet store, the grocery store, the post office, even to church? I carry because of the guilt I would feel if I wasn't armed when I needed to be. Would my fellow Mormons think I'm paranoid? Or have the near constant news stories of mall, church, and school shootings altered public perception?
I was reading on the Enforcer's blog about the warrior/worrier that we become after we sign up as cops. It's not normal, but I can't be any other way now. Because of the guilt.
As an aside, we were also talking about the sexy sausage shirts that have become popular with a couple of the guys at work. They're tight t-shirts that have built in holsters. Very tactical. Everything marketed to law enforcement has to be "tactical." The only problem is that the shirts aren't very flattering if you have a less than perfectly sculpted torso, hence the nickname. Sexy is sarcastic. Sausage is the reality. I haven't gotten one yet and I was complaining that they need to make scoop neck sausage shirts so I can wear them with my blouses and sweaters. The guys agreed. They should come in different colors, like lilac. With the scoop neck and spagetti straps. I then imagined Bear in the feminine version of the sausage shirt and he wondered why I was giggling.
I think the negative health effects of working nights are more than compensated for by the positive health effects of regular giggling.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








8 comments:
I carry off-duty. And most other officers I know do as well. It is pretty much second nature to grab it as I walk out the door. However, summertime does present a problem in being able to conceal my GLOCK 23. lol. I will probably find a smaller handgun to strap to my leg as I don't ever wear shorts - that way I can still carry without everyone pointing at me saying, "She's got a gun!" lol. ;)
Friend of your mom's here...I also have a concealed carry permit, and carry more than one would expect from a retired teacher. Other ward members have told me they frequently carry as well, even at church. I belong to a gun club, practice frequently, and am grateful for the security a Glock 9mm offers. You carry for guilt, most of us for protection.
Joan,
Thank you so much for your donation! I sincerely appreciate it.
Thank you for your comment to. I wouldn't have guessed there were a bunch of Mormons packing to church. Maybe I'm not as strange as I thought.
USA- You could always try the sexy sausage shirt for summer time. You'd still need a smaller gun. ;)
I carry off-duty. T-shirts with built-in holsters sound retarded, though.
I never leave home without my friends Sig and Sauer. I guess I have Agnostic guilt then, huh?
I feel better knowing "Smith" is carrying. My Dad has finally gotten over the adolescent thrill of being with someone who's "packing heat". LOL.
did you carry when we were in BH? As a "non-LEO" I feel much better having all y'all carry with all the nut jobs out there.
Along the lines of the teacher carrying, my youngest sister-in-law was telling me that one of her teachers is more than prepared in case there's a shooting. We're talking food and water and barricades and whatnot. Scary, isn't it? But necessary...
Food and water? For an earthquake, great. For a shooting... it's going to be over waaay before that becomes an issue. The barricades would be a good idea, though, if a weapon isn't an option.
Post a Comment