Saturday, March 8, 2008

Trekking in Nepal

Whilst trekking in Nepal I'm going to hang (with adhesive cow dung) these posters. The poster shows how girls are unknowingly sold into brothels. The first picture shows the guy with shoes and cool sunglasses. He's telling the parents that he can get their daughter a great job in the city and she'll send money home so they can have neat things to. She leaves with him in the second picture, away from her small village for the first time in her life. He tells her she's going to marry someone rich or work in a restaurant or get a job making carpets. All are better futures than she had imagined for herself before. There's a picture of the border crossing and she's introduced to a woman to travel with her. The last picture is where she finds out what's really happened; she's been sold to a brothel.

The woman who gave me the posters works with Maiti Nepal , an organization that runs a rehabilitation center and hospice in Kathmandu. She told me that I might run into parents of daughters who've disappeared. She said her first time in Nepal they were at a village to raise awareness of the problem and three parents asked for help. She told me it would be very helpful if I took pictures of the parents and collected information on the daughter (and a picture if they have one). Often, when a girl is rescued, she doesn't know where she came from and her dialect only narrows it down so far. With pictures, some girl might recognize her parents. Who knows if it will work or not, but it might. So it's worth a shot. If I can be in the right place, at the right time, there's no telling what could happen.

I like the part of Moroni, chapter 10 that says "And now I speak unto all the ends of the earth-- that if the day cometh that the power and gifts of God shall be done away among you, it shall be because of unbelief. And wo be unto the children of men if this be the case; for there shall be none that doeth good among you, no not one. For if there be one among you that doeth good, he shall work by the power and gifts of God."

If there is any good that I can do, it will take God's help to do it. I just have to have the faith that my little bit can accomplish something.

6 comments:

MJ said...

i hope so, too. i have the feeling this is going to be life changing for you!

Front Porch Society said...

What a noble idea! Hope you are able to help reunite one family with their lost daughter while over there!

Officer "Smith" said...

Just be careful this doesn't get you thrown into one of the aforementioned prisons. They really don't like foreigners delving too far into their affairs over yonder.

I'd hate to have to round up a posse to come bust you out, although I already know many of those who'd be coming along.

Have fun, but above all be safe.

Liz said...

Thanks Smith. I'll try not to get myself in trouble. Nepal is a long way to come for a rescue.

Front Porch Society said...

Count me in on that rescue posse! ;)

Officer "Smith" said...

I have to say the "adhesive cow dung" does have me intrigued though...