Thursday, January 10, 2008

7 Days in India



Do I spend the week in Bandhavgarh? Staying in a lodge for $20 a night, going on safari in the mornings and evenings? Photographing wildlife and riding elephants? Canoeing with crocodiles?
http://www.gwalior.hospital.care4free.net/gwalior.html

Or do I spend the week volunteering at Gwalior children's hospital? Helping orphans and kids that are so third world poor I, as an American, can't even imagine what it feels like? We can look at the pictures, but we can't really know what it is until we're there.


Do I spend the week having fun or should I do something that will undoubtedly change me forever?


I'm leaning towards Gwalior. Why not? They say they could use paramedics, so I'm sure they can put this little EMT to work. It'll cost me $300 plus any money I can fund raise (I have no idea how to do that). They ask that volunteers try to raise money beforehand, but it's not required. Other volunteer opportunities charge hundreds more and I'm suspicious of where all that money goes.

And what topic keeps coming up in church? Charity, the pure love of Christ. And service. We feel charity when we serve others and when we have charity, we are more like Christ. And the more like Christ we are, the more we build our character into something extraordinary. The reason I'm here on earth is to test my character and to make it into something. I should take this opportunity to serve others. I know my week of work won't make much difference to the poor of Gwalior, but it will make a huge difference to me.

4 comments:

Front Porch Society said...

Can you do both? A few days in the village and a few days out having fun?

SapphireBullet said...

Can't you do both?
If you to the touristy bit you're taking what the community gives you. It will leave a lasting impression on you, no doubt. Nothing wrong with that.
If you go and serve, you are giving a part of yourself to the community. You will leave YOUR mark on the community. Nothing wrong with that either.
:)

Liz said...

The distances involved would make it hard to do both. And when I'm in Nepal I've got three days doing the jungle safari thing.

Of course I did consider that giving money to a community as a tourist coming to see tigers would help in tiger conservation. Neither of my choices are bad.

Yvonne said...

wow, Lizzy, very cool. Have I told you lately that you are my hero? Well...you are!

yo' Mama