Friday, January 11, 2008

Finally, Tasers hit the streets!


The NPS Taser policy came out ages ago. Well, actually it was September 15, 2006. Since then my park has been slowly trudging along. Someone was able to convince the Superintendent to allow the tasers in the first place. I wonder how long that took? Our park policy was signed in March 2007. Then they had to find the money to buy them and get people trained as instructors. But they finally delivered. Ours are just like the picture, except they're yellow. I think the yellow is a great idea so they aren't mistaken (by other officers) as guns.

Last night I was the first Ranger at my park to strap on an "Electronic Control Weapon." I realized that I am not allowed to loose any inches from my waist. If that were to happen, the handle of the taser would interfere with my ability to retrieve my second pistol magazine. If I need the second one I have no time to farf around with the taser.

So tonight I hunted in vain for lawbreakers of the feisty variety. Never fear, I will find them. The next guy who wants to wrestle with the park rangers will be in for quite a shock. Ha ha ha.

I appreciate the work that all the bosses put in to getting the Tasers here. And Dave, who got us all trained and who signed my cartridges out to me last night. Anyone up the chain of command could have decided that they didn't want us to have them. It would be easier for them not to deal with the media frenzy that will result when we tase the first unlucky suspect. Since we're the only agency in this area carrying tasers, it is bound to bring an unhappy spotlight on our park. But the Chief and the bosses decided that they would rather take that than forbid us a tool that can possibly keep us from getting hurt. It can also give us an option besides bullets. Despite the negative things you may have heard on the media about tasers, I am happy to have such a neat tool available. And I feel like Batman; my belt is so crowded with gear.

5 comments:

Officer "Smith" said...

My Taser is yellow too. I agree that the yellow is beneficial. My Taser has a TaserCam on the bottom. You think you had to find room on your belt, try finding room for a Taser that's almost twice the size of one without the TaserCam.

Some of our officers took something off their belt to put the Taser on. I was not willing to give up my pepper spray, or my ASP, or any other weapon for that matter, to carry a Taser. I had to make room, just like you. But I'm glad I did.

I have had my Taser for almost six months now and I've never run into anyone who wanted to let me use it on them. Darn.

Liz said...

Yikes! I'm glad I could skip the TaserCam. It's bad enough that the darn thing takes up more space than my handgun!

Front Porch Society said...

Tasers are most certainly a beneficial nonlethal weapon tool. Just the sight of it is often enough to deter a criminal from becoming any more stupid than they already are!

Officer "Smith" said...

Yep, sometimes a spark check is all they need...

OKAY MAN, I GIVE UP!!

Ranger Bob said...

Glad to hear your park has entered the 21st century. That's not always guaranteed when it comes to NPS law enforcement issues!