Several of my male friends in law enforcement have stories of women undressing as a ploy to get out of a ticket. Or something. I consider that a job related hazard. I can't top that. But this story is still pretty dang funny.
It was 2300 hours and I was fixing to drift off to sleep when I heard bagpipes. Specifically,"Scotland the Brave," my ring tone. It was the Boss asking if I could back him up. He'd been called out for a motorist in distress which turned out to be a possibly stolen car driven off the road by a guy with officer safety advisements. We'll call the guy Roy.
I got dressed as quickly as I could and thankfully didn't have to scrape ice from the windshield. But a trooper (the cute one with the southern accent) beat me to the scene. I was happy to see him since I'd been worried about the Boss there in the dark on the side of the highway with a stolen car.
APD got ahold of the vehicle's owner and it turns out it's not stolen. The car belongs to Roy's grandfather. The old man had been upset with Roy so he'd put a hold on the vehicle. But, on second thought, I guess he decided that Roy could drive it after all. Fine. Get us all worked up for nothing.
So I'm taking the accident report and I'm talking with Roy. I'm being my normal friendly self. Maybe even more friendly than normal because I want Roy to tell me things. And because my boss warned me that Roy was exhibiting symptoms of emotional and mental instability (and I sure hate to piss off crazy people!). I guess I can turn on the charm, because he admitted to going 117 mph before he lost control of his car and spun all around the highway (thank goodness no one else was there), before sailing off into the trees. 117 is pretty specific, but he assured me that's how fast he was going.
I came back with his citation and explained everything. Roy told me I'm the nicest federal LEO he's ever met. I ask him what other federal LEOs he's run in to and he told me all about how he just got out of federal prison. Roy served 9 months for stealing mail (although I suspect there's a little more to the story than just taking people's bills, magazines, and assorted correspondence). He lamented that the correctional officers weren't always very nice. He said the US Marshals are alright. I agreed, the Marshals are nice guys.
Then, this is the best part. After telling me how nice I am, he says he hopes to see me around town. He was hitting on me! He was a breath away from asking me out (I could tell) when I deflected the conversation (very smoothly, if I do say so). I hadn't even seen it coming. If I hadn't been paying attention, the results could have been horrific!
I've been thanked after issuing citations before, but never, ever, has anyone almost asked me out! Wait... that might not be true. No sober people have ever flirted with me after being cited and/or arrested.
That was my excitement for the night. I wish the car had been stolen. I wish the cute trooper had flirted with me instead of the convicted felon. Sigh. Maybe next time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








7 comments:
I really enjoy reading your blog. I stumbled across it while during research on Denali.
I received my Bachelor's in Law Enforcement, but I went into the civilian sector doing insurance SIU.
I spent a lot of time growing up on Mt Hood in Oregon and summers all across the west backpacking.
I often envy the USFS and NPS LEO Rangers. Its one of those “if you could do things over again”
When I did my practicum with the SO I was assign to the Ranger Raccoon patrol on Mt Hood. Great times. But the drives to the jail sucked!!
Denali seems likes it would be pretty quite in the winter time with limited calls for serviced. What is your LEO staffing like? Do you guys spend much time in the backcountry?
Thanks for the great pics and stories, it makes pushing paper a little better.
Several of my male friends in law enforcement have stories of women undressing as a ploy to get out of a ticket.
We like to think of that as a fringe benefit. :-)
Oh, Liz!! Are the pickings really that slim there?? Lol. How funny, and too bad it wasn't the cute trooper.
Heh, this is usaincognito. I shut down my old site and have a new site up now:
frontporchsociety.blogspot.com
LOL!!! I had to laugh at this story. At least you were smart enough to catch him hitting on you before it got any further!
Will hope the hot trooper starts flirting with you soon! :)
Ack, here's hoping someday things will switch and the nice trooper will ask you out instead of the criminal with questionable decision making skills.
figsiu- I'm glad you like my blog. There are 9 of us in the North District. We do everything except the mountain stuff. I'm not in the backcountry nearly as often as I'd like.
Winters are quiet, but I keep myself busy by running radar and doing paperwork--ACK!
Me- I guess it's just how you look at things. I wouldn't want to see half dressed women... the half dressed men I come across are bad enough. Think of plumber's crack.
Mrs. Smith- Yes, the pickings are slim. It's a tiny town. We like to say about Alaskan men that the odds are good... but the goods are odd.
Leslie- I'll have to check out your new site!
Copswife- Thanks. I need all the well wishes I can get.
Crazy!!! I always love when psychos hit on me... Glad you caught on before it was too late!
Post a Comment