I'd spent the summer working at 7500 feet in Sequoia NP. I felt great, but I knew my summer slenderness would never survive a Fairbanks winter if I didn't take drastic measures. I got down to just two Luna bars and some broccoli for a days' worth of food before I passed out and my roommate called the ambulance on me. It was my crew that came (very embarrassing). I learned that starvation is never a good way to go. By the way, I hadn't set out with the intention of developing any kind of eating disorder. Eventually I just didn't get hungry. My slide downhill was gradual and I hadn't really noticed.
Well, here it is winter again. My goal is to work out 4 times a week. I'm keeping track, which makes it easier and is good for motivation. If I don't get 4 workouts, I get at least 3. The problem I sometimes encounter is related to where I live.
I'm 2 hours from a gym. Since I only go to Fairbanks once or twice a month, it doesn't make any sense to pay for a gym membership. Oh, wait. We actually do have a gym here. This is it:
I think my bedroom is bigger. The treadmill is worn out. There's a stair climber, a bike, and an elliptical (it's very loud and may be on it's last leg). The weight lifting contraption has some problems. When I tried to use it the other day I couldn't get the pin to go between the weights on the bench press side. The TV/DVD player is nice. I watch my Planet Earth DVDs when I'm on the elliptical. I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but it's a very depressing, dark, little room.My other option is outside. Stew Smith gives some advice for enjoying cold weather workouts:
"Pace Yourself – Build up to exercising in the cold temperatures. It is more difficult to go from any cardiovascular activity when you are used to 60-70 degrees one day and try to run or walk in 20-30 degrees the next. So, over the course of 4-6 weeks, do workouts outside as the weather changes. For instance, starting in October / November you were probably seeing colder weather of 40-50 degrees depending on your location. By December / January, if you continued to exercise outside, you might have gotten used to 30-40 degree weather. As with anything, pace yourself and do not expect to go from 70 degrees one day and enjoy a 30 degree workout the next.... Also, try to walk in the “heat” of the day such as early afternoon to avoid sub-freezing temperatures if possible."
Right. 40-50 depending on my location. Try -10 to +20 for October and November. Today was a heat wave. I left for my hike and it was +9! By the time I'd gotten back, it was up to 11. December and January aren't going to be 30-40. I won't see temps above freezing until spring (except when I'm in Africa).
Not very useful advice.
I was running outside until a couple weeks ago. My running shoes have holes in the top which let in the snow. I'd run until my toes got numb and then I'd turn around. Now there's to much snow, making the terrain very uneven. It makes my ankles sore. I don't have skis, nor do I know how to cross country ski. I've got snowshoes, but walking isn't much of a cardio workout.
I'm slowly accumulating a workout room in my garage. I ordered a pull up bar that I don't have to bolt to the door. I have my punching bag, an exercise ball, and some dumbbells. I'd really like to get some decent equipment for our mini-gym, but space will continue to be an issue and the building will continue to be dark and dreary.
When I was in Anchorage this last week, I went with a friend to her gym. It was really nice. One of the benefits to living in a city. There was a hot tub, sauna, and multiple levels of workout stuff. There were classes on all kinds of things. And a pool. I miss swimming.
I'm going to the city again in a couple weeks for court. None of my friends will be around, so I'll stay in a hotel. I've got to find one with a good gym. Then all I've got to do is write a lot of tickets. That shouldn't be hard.








2 comments:
Good luck with the staying fit, and DON'T STARVE YOURSELF!!!!
I learned my lesson after that!
Post a Comment